Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Who is the best Driver in the World (Reprint from 03/07)

If your looking for an answer to that question, STOP READING!!!!

Why did I make that the title of this post?? Well, I suppose, because it would make people look and maybe read this post. A little self serving, but then aren't we all.

In all reality its an impossible question to answer. Each motorsport has its own intricacy that makes it special, and difficult, therefore you can't compare them. Even within a single type of racing its hard to specify which driver is better. There are always differences in equipment, the best driver in the world cannot win with inferior equipment. Truthfully, even when you attempt to put drivers in equal car (i.e. IROC) that isn't a true variable either. The fact that they raced on tracks where the Nascar drivers had an advantage for the most part, throws a wrench in those statistics.

So how do we judge which driver is the best?? Highest paid, most wins, average finish, longevity, popularity?? None of these would be a true barometer of someones talent.

Now I am a Nascar fan, however I am also a fan of many other forms of motorsports. Including rally racing, drag racing, scca, Sportscar racing, plus the occasional F1 and IRL,Cart type races. I think too often we pidgeonhole ourselves into one thing or another. Plenty of people think Nascar is silly, the same can be said for IRL,CART. But I can tell you that I just love racing. Whether its the drop of the green at the Bristol night race, to seeing to guys run on the 1/8 mile drag , from driving on a autocross course, to Watching a NHRA top fueler blow through the quarter. They all get my heart pumping, the hair on my arms standing, and my adrenaline flowing.
So why I am I writing all this, well because I keep hearing people bagging on Juan Pablo Montoya, and people throwing him up as the greatest driver in history. I saw in another blog that J.P. was nothing compared to Earnhardt Sr. We are talking apples to oranges people. I mean really, come on. Sr was a great Nascar driver, there is no doubt of that. But can anyone really think that he would run all over everyone in an F1 car, or an Indy car, or a WRC type car?? In the same vain, Could Micheal Shumacher really come over here and run good at Bristol? I doubt that either one could run well, atleast not right off the bat anyway.
Anyway, there are so many variables, that we can never truly know who the best driver in the world. There are great examples of cross over type people, that i think lends them towards being at the top of the list. Earnhardt Sr did compete in several Sportscar type events and ran very well, Tony Stewart, though it pains me to say(lol) does have not only 2 Nextel Cups, but an IRL championship as well. And that brings us back to Juan Pablo. He has won in everything he has ever driven. Do I think he can drive yes, do I think he will win in Nascar at the cup level, yes. does that mean he is better than our Nascar heroes. NO, but until Jeff Gordon, or Tony Stewart gets a chance the drive in F1, we will never know for sure.

Until then I say this. Cheer for your favorite driver, but keep an open mind. Watch a Rolex Grand AM race, watch an NHRA event and think to yourself, how would Tony or Juan Pablo do in a 300 mph dragster. Watch the WRC and ask yourself if Jimmy Johnson Could go 140 through a 70 turn course on snow. I bet they could, and i would watch for sure. Wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment