Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Favoritism AT Hendrick Motorsports (Reprint from 3/09)

At California two of the 6 HMS entries blew motors. Notice I said "6" entries, I consider Stewart/Haas a HMS entity. Basically just Rick's way of getting around the Nascar Superteam rule.
Being an anti Hendrick person, I wasn't sad to see these motors blow up, but it got me wondering why only two. It was supposedly a parts issue. Well if the motors are all made at one specific shop, then transported to the race shops, WHY didn't all of them blow up?

Now like I said, I am not a big HMS supporter, I am more of an underdog kind of guy, but I wonder why guys like Dale Jr and Mark Martin would knowingly go to teams that get inferior or R&D equipment. Just look at the performance of the 5 and 25/88 teams over the last few years. How many wins did Kyle Busch have in the 5 versus last year in the 18 (first year in a Toyota and with a new team)

You can't tell me that the 5 and 25/88 get the same stuff as the 24 and 48.
As much as I dislike Roush, atleast he seems to give everyone the same equipment, and leave it to the driver and crews to thrash it out on the track.

Which brings me back to why on earth anyone would go to these two teams, knowing that the 48 and 24 get better stuff. Jr had his choice to go anywhere to any team. I am sure RCR would have made room and given JR the best cars and crew he could, even if it meant Harvick would suffer. Or maybe does Jr. want out of the limelight and thought HMS would be a good place to play 3rd string be JG and JJ.

Just my opinion, it could be wrong, but probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment