Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sick of Hearing about Tony Stewart's NEW Team!!

First let me start off by saying that although I am not a Stewart fan, I respect his driving ability and his career up till this point. I mean the Indy 500 - Coke 600 doubles were enough to gain most peoples respect, throw in the multiple championships in different series and cars, the talent in the man is undeniable.


That being said, I wish people would stop acting like he created a whole team and is being successful right off the jump. I just read the Foxsports.com article by Rea White, titled "Has Tony Stewart silenced his Critics" My first thought was WHO was critical of Tony taking that deal. I mean who in their right mind would pass up half ownership of a race team for Free!! Sure some people might have said leaving Gibbs was a mistake, but he was looking for a way out of JGR as soon as they went to Toyotas.


So back to my point. Tony did not start a new team. He didn't have to build a shop, hire employees, buy equipment etc.etc. Basically he went in, hired a few key managers, and made a deal to buy Hendricks equipment. Is this wrong? NO its smart, but don't say you started a new team.


For all the C@#$ Mikey Waltrip gets, he started a new team, not only that, a new team with a manufacturer new to the Series. Same with Red Bull. As you can tell by the results, the fruits of these labours are just starting to be born. More for Red Bull than MWR, but the 00 isn't running to bad.


I give them much more credit for starting teams. Tony should get credit for reviving the Haas organization, not starting it.It took a driver/owner of his stature in the sport to bring in the sponsors he did. Without them, Stewart/Haas would be in the same boat Haas was in before, running subpar equipment with smalltime sponsors. The dollars Old Spice, Office Depot, the Army and Burger King put into the organization, allowed Stewart the financials to partner w/Hendrick and get cars and motors.


So please stop telling me how great Tony's NEW team is doing. Just go back to saying what a good driver he is.


thats just my opinion, i could be wrong, but probably not!

No comments:

Post a Comment