Saturday, July 25, 2009

Thanks Tony, for clearing that up.

I am beginning to like Tony Stewart more every day. With all the media coverage of his "new" team, we got to see a little behind the scenes of him. He seems to be a decent guy. I know he has had his moments, but as a Kyle Busch fan, I can forgive those. Now I will not cheer for Tony or Ryan, until Stewart/Haas starts building its own cars and motors. I despise pretty much anything HMS related. Hopefully in the next few years he can break the cord attached to Hendrick, and then I might reconsider.

So why the change of heart you ask?? Well because Smoke verified what I have been saying all along! Heres the quote from the Indianapolis Star.

Tony Stewart on his fellow owner-drivers: "If we had to start from scratch, we never would have done this. So the guys like Robby Gordon and Michael Waltrip that are true owner-drivers, those guys are a lot more impressive than what I am because I couldn't have done that." -- Indy Star

Thanks Tony, for proving my point! Even though I can't stand Robby Gordon, I can appreciate the effort that he and Mikey Waltrip have made in starting their own teams.

Tony is a great driver, and business man. I applaud his efforts in hiring the best people available to work in his program. He will be a success for years to come.

If he ever cuts ties with Hendrick, he may even have a few more fans.

5 comments:

  1. And Tony seems a little humbler in the past few years. Maybe it was Joe Gibbs' direction. Maybe Kyle B. will soften a little, too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason he could not have done what MW & RG done was they didn't have anything to loose but go forward. They didn't have a great team to drive for and big time sponsors where he had it all and the only way he was going to do it is this way or he would have looked like a fool and never here the end of it.

    I agree with you that he was smart to do it this way and whats wrong with getting the best car you can get and motors you can get? You buy the best parts/cars you can get to race and if they are ones of the top teams competeing each week for the win don't change it.

    How did you think you got to the top of the SYMT in Toyota,, cause the power plant is from Hendricks. lmao. Cheers Storkjrc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey stork -- he finally proved your point eh! There is a difference between buying a team and building a team. I will give him credit for getting some good people in place but until he can perform with his own equipment he is really just part of Team Hendrick and *should* be doing this well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for stopping by guys.

    jamie- when i won my first SYMT race, it was with Gordon. As I said then, I don't like it but I will take it. LOL

    belle- the pr Nueterers (sp) got hold of Kyle already, look for a blog this week.

    kristen- yeah he is right up there with the rest of HMS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am no fan of Hendrick. But hey, if buying the best equipment means Tony has to deal with the likes of Hendrick, then that is what he has to do. But Smoke has already said that they are going to be doing more of their own chassis next year. Building/rebuilding a race team, takes time. And Smoke is doing it the right way.

    And I applaud him for it. And I applaud Joe Custer for being smart enough to know who to go to when Gene Haas told him to do something drastic.

    ReplyDelete