Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Chase Conspiracy Theories!

When the Chase was first introduced, one thing caught my eye. Notice the 2 short tracks, in the last three races. I actually called in to a local radio show, to voice my concerns.

The Question went something like this. What if the guy in 13 (then 11th) happened to "move" the guy in 12 (then 9th) causing him to crash, thus enabling the guy on the outside to move into the Chase? The radio pundits, after much deliberation, decided they really didn't know what would happen.

This has never really become an issue. Especially last year. The big 4, HMS, Roush, Gibbs, and Childress. Had the Chase field covered last year. Each team with most, if not all their drivers making the Show.

This year is a entirely different story. With seven different owners taking up the 12 spots. I will for this blog denote Stewart/Haas and a seperate entity from HMS.

Where am I going with this, you may ask?

Picture this on Sat. night. The 33 is close to making the Chase. His teammate, the 29 who is way outside the Chase, runs up behind the 17. Harvick , not known for patience, boots the 17, who backs it into the fence and has finishes back in the pack. Up moves the 33, one step closer to keeping Childress from being shut out of the Chase.

Voila, instant Chase conspiracy.

Example 2. The 20, with a rookie driver, gets loose and takes out the 5. Helping the 18 inch his way back into contention.

Rookie mistake or team orders? You be the judge.

I'm not saying that teams are sitting in the haulers and Richard is telling Harvick and Burton to dump the guys in front of Clint in the standings, but who knows. In fact, how could you tell at all? Isn't Bristol known for beating and banging.

I guess I must just have a warped mind, but if I was Childress, looking to be shut out of the Chase, I promise its something that would run through my thoughts.

Just something to think about. Of course, we will probably be sitting in front of the TV waiting for the rain to stop. I hope not.

Anyway, just a little food for thought. I am thinking of bringing back the Incident Report, for atleast the next 3 races. That way I can analyze the cautions, and see if I can throw a little gas on the fire for us Nascar conspiracy theorists.

Let me know what you think of my little Conspiracy theory.

8 comments:

  1. Stork......I so wanted to say something like this in a comment on Brad's post, but the words just wouldn't come. Now I can put "SEE STORK'S POST." LOL

    Bring back the Incident Report! I love seeing gas thrown!lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. While conspiracy theories are great to analyze and I love to do just that. I just don't see Childress sitting around his office and thinking of ways for his other two drivers to take out other drivers to insure Clint makes the chase.

    And for my sake, please do not put Stewart-Haas into the Hendrick stable. I know that they get tech support and equipment from Hendrick. But remember they buy the equipment and they pay enough for that equipment that Hendrick should give them plenty of tech support. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. What?!? Someone actually gets tech support they pay for? Sign me up! LOL


    Ok I like conspiracy theories Stork and would love for you to bring back the Incident Report esp for Bristol at least...

    I dunno if anyone is going to take someone out at Bristol it will be Kyle or Junior (anyone else remember his first race there where he hit the clean up truck??!! Ah, love that kid)

    Guess we will have to wait and see who takes who out and analyze later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Stork, I have always enjoyed a good conspiracy theory. Looking forward to reading more about this subject.

    Thanks and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tsfanpc, like you I doubt Richard is actually contemplating my scenario. However, in this high dollar, sponsor driven sport, the possibility of all 4 RCR guys missing the Chase could call for some drastic measures.

    I will be resurrecting the "Incident Report" for atleast the Bristol race. Depending on how that goes, we'll see about future Blogs.

    The Fox blogs got so saturated with recaps, I thought they were a little redundant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whatever happens, it will not come even remotely close to the farces in F1...Austria 2002 and Indy 2005 being the two 'best' examples, lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I know is Mark Martin should have pitted last week with Dale Jr and he would have had a 3rd or 4th place finish. I can see Vickers going for broke as well as the 48 and 24.

    Maybe Dale gets loose and takes out Kyle Busch and Vickers at the same time to help Mark....
    lol Cheers2You

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll echo what Tez said...This ain't F-1. I kinda doubt that a teammate A would help teammate B make the Chase, especially if A wasn't going to make it himself. These guys are way to competitive.

    Here's an example, Casey Mears is clawing just to stay in the sport. Would he give up a top-5 finish at Bristol (as if) to help Bowyer? Sure Childress would appreciate it....at the time, not in the off season when he has to decide who stays. A Chase participant or 25th in points Mears?

    We've seen how often these teammates forget each other in the draft. It's every man/team for themself out there.

    ReplyDelete