Friday, August 14, 2009

Is Pit Road Safety a Nascar Concern?

In discussing the JPM speeding incident at Indy, I came to the realization that justifying the pit road speed for safety is a load of horse "puckey"

Nascar does some stupid stuff when it comes to "safety" Example A. That whole rule involving only putting on tires or getting gas in the Truck series. How is doubling the amount of stops needed making pit road safer. It just doubles the amount of stops, thus doubling the chance for and accident to occur.

I think that the speed at which the cars enter and exit, has little to do with improving safety. The incidents I have seen, usually didn't occur with the car traveling pit road speed.

Usually they involve a car turning in and clipping a crew member, or catching one on the way out. I am suprised that we don't have more of these incidents every week.

The Pit Crews used to be just mechanics from the shop, that worked double duty by pitting the car during the race weekend. As the sport progressed and 10ths of a second began translating to spots on the track, most teams now have dedicated Pit Crews, that instead of building cars, spend their weeks training and practicing for Sundays.

In my opinion if Nascar was serious about pit road safety, then they would freeze the fields and it wouldn't matter if you had a 12.5 second stop or a 15.0 second one. Thats the only way I see to alleviate the types of incidents that occur on pit road these days.

Now we all know thats not going to happen. So my best scenario would be for Nascar to get up off its fat Wallet and make the cars better on the track. If its easier to pass on the track, it would take the necessity for passing on pit road out of the equation.

Now I appreciate the work that these guys do. To change 4 tires, add fuel, pull a tearoff, make adjustments, etc etc, in 12-14 seconds is freakin amazing. However, to me, its anticlimatic to have the race won or lost on pit road. Especially at the cookie cutter tracks, usually the guy who gets of pit road first, just takes off in clean air. That takes the race out of the drivers hand and puts it into the crews. I don't watch the races to see which crew is best. I want to know who the best driver is that day. Not which crew chief made the best adjustments.

I could get on a JJ rant but I will refrain.

Also, I think that any track that wants a Nascar race( Truck, NNS, or Cup) should have 43 identical stalls, and where possible, they be lengthened to give drivers a way around crew members. I know you can't do much at tracks like Bristol. I love Bristol, it gets a pass from my rant.

Do I really know the answer, NO. I am just a lowly Nascar fan, I love the sport, and I just want to see the best racing possible. I don't think we are getting that right now.

Feel Free to lambast my ideas, or add your own. Who knows!! One day somebody important may read these blogs and do something. I doubt it, but there is always hope.

4 comments:

  1. Hey stork - Given my access to the Brew Crew, I know they would be really bummed if pit road order was set and you couldnt gain ground there. They and all the other crews really take pride in being the best out there and it is their legit claim that NASCAR is a team sport.

    I think we need to do something about the COT in clean air = runaway on most tracks more than pit road changes.

    However pit road is a dangerous place and it does seem as if the guys are getting clipped in the boxes - making all the boxes the same size at Cup tracks makes a TON of sense! (where it can be done of course.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like your points in this post.

    The COT has put a much greater emphasis on pit road with all of the adjustments necessary. With the old car, pit stops weren't as big of a deal...

    Maybe NASCAR's point of the pit road speed is to have a way to screw up drivers' races...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an older than dirt guy, I do recall some fatalities on pit road in Indy and NASCAR when there was no pit road speed limits. So limits are a good idea. You hit the nail on the head on the pit boxes. Most are way too small and need to be enlarged to allow a safer working environment. Surprised some government agency hasn't cited NASCAR for worker safety yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pit road is a dangerous place to work. Takes a special breed to be on your knees,changing a tire, while cars brush by you at 60mph.

    I'm still not a fan of speed limits on pit road, but they have to have them....too many boneheads can't drive on the track without wrecking.

    It seems like at least one crew man get injured every month....nowhere close to the serious injuries in the NFL.

    ReplyDelete